Marcia Adams Joins Hall of Fame
by Ray Newkirk
HMRRC stalwart Marcia Adams has been elected to the club’s Hall of Fame. Marcia’s years of extraordinary service overcame the absence of running credentials* in the selection process (see here for the HOF selection criteria), a tribute to the breadth and depth of Marcia’s contributions to the club.
Beginning in 2003, Marcia has been a fixture at HMRRC races and other activities. Her inclusion in the Hall of Fame recognizes the critical importance of volunteers to the club’s past and future success. While the club has a “Distinguished Service Award” that recognizes significant volunteer contributions, Marcia’s contributions are so numerous and varied that she stands out even among that elite group (Marcia shared the DSA with husband Tom in 2010). The resume submitted in support of Marcia’s HOF candidacy tells the tale.
- Membership Chair, 2007-2008.
- Volunteer Coordinator, 2008-present. Marcia has been particularly focused on methods to improve volunteerism among club members. She works with all race directors to assist in meeting their volunteer requirements
- HMRRC Administrator, Aug. 2018-present. While this position has been compensated for the last few years, Marcia helped maintain the club’s facility for several years prior to assuming the paid position.
- Mohawk-Hudson River Marathon, 2003-2019. Primarily involved with setting up, volunteering at, and breaking down the Expo. Handled day-of registration in early years.
- CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge, 2004-2015. 2019.
- Corporate tent coordinator. Developed and implemented program for selling tents to sponsors of corporate teams. Program eventually raised enough money to cover event’s plaza-related expenses.
- Assisted with refreshments and early attempts to automate team registrations.
- Runnin’ of the Green, 2005-2019.
- Volunteer, 2005-2019. Registration
- Delmar Dash
- Co-Director, 2007-2014.
- Volunteer, 2017-2019
- Bill Robinson Masters 5K, 2006(?)-2019.
- Volunteer, 2006-2019 (race day registration)
- Mother’s Day 5K, 2006-2018.
- Volunteer, 2006-2018 (race day registration)
- Participated in organization of transition to Central Park.
- Indian Ladder Trail Run, 2005-2018.
- Volunteer, 2005-2018 (registration)
- Organized BBQ last three years of its existence, approximately 2013-2016
- Stockade-athon, 2003-2014, 2017-2019.
- Coordinator, 2017-2019 (Relay, Kids Run, YMCA)
- Volunteer, 2003-2014. Handled registration prior to move to ZippyReg.
Winter Series, 2006-2019.
Volunteer. Registration, day-of set-up and break-down.
- Just Run. Assisted with school registration, and tabulation of the results for the Just Run program since its inception.
- Banquet and Annual Meeting, 2016-2019. Organized the event. Handled registration.
- Boilermaker Bus, 2013-2019. Coordinated the bus to Utica as a benefit to members.
- Monthly Meetings. Marcia has been a fixture at the club’s monthly meetings since 2003-4 and regularly volunteers for specific tasks when requirements arise at the meeting.
- Club communications. Marcia prepares and distributes e-mail blasts to club members when required.
Congratulations, Marcia, on a well-deserved honor!
*Marcia notes that she is in fact undefeated as an age-group runner, having finished first in a 2.29 mile race. Her only effort as a runner was on Leap Day, 2020.